There are four Scrutiny Committees that support the work of the Executive and the Council as a whole. They allow Members to consider council matters in greater detail leading to reports and recommendations which advise Executive on its policies, budget and service delivery. They may also be consulted by the Executive on forthcoming decisions and the development of policy..
The Committees monitor the decisions of the Executive or an individual Member of the Cabinet. It can, in certain circumstances, consider ‘calling-in’ a decision that has been made by the Executive or an individual member of the Cabinet but not yet implemented. This enables the Committee to consider whether the decision is appropriate and ensure that all evidence has been presented to Executive for them to make the right decision.
The Committee reviews the Council’s performance within the Performance Management Framework and makes recommendations to the Executive/Service areas as appropriate, to ensure good performance levels are maintained.
The Committees also receive requests from Members in respect of Councillor Calls for Action.
Each Scrutiny Committee sets a Work Programme of internal scrutiny for the year and monitors progress against it.
Budget Scrutiny Committee
The Budget Scrutiny Committee has the following specific responsibilities:
- To receive the Cabinet/Executive’s Budget proposals and scrutinise them in accordance with the Budget and Policy Framework Procedure Rules in the Council’s Constitution.
- To make recommendations to the Cabinet/Executive in respect of those Budget proposals in accordance with the Budget and Policy Framework Procedure Rules in the Council’s Constitution.
- To monitor the Council’s Budget (General Fund, Capital Programme and Housing Revenue Account) on a quarterly basis.
- To raise questions with the relevant Portfolio Holders and officers in relation to financial issues arising out of the quarterly monitoring of Budgets.
- To make recommendations to the Cabinet/Executive in respect of financial issues arising out of the Budget Monitoring.
- To refer to the relevant Scrutiny Committee any performance or other non-financial issues arising out of the quarterly monitoring of the Council’s Budget.
- To enable the three Scrutiny Chairs’ to present update information from their respective Committees.
Support officer: Tom Scott (Governance Officer). Email: email@example.com
Phone: 01246 217045